The main objectives for the MedSeA cruise are to:
– Refine climatological maps of carbonate species distribution (pH, pCO2, CO32-, CT, AT, Ωa, Ωc,), along with their isotopic signatures, in the Mediterranean Sea.
– Report on the determination of the anthropogenic carbon distribution throughout the whole Mediterranean Sea and its associated uncertainty estimate
– Determine the effects of carbonate chemistry on Mediterranean calcifying and non-calcifying planktonic organisms.
– Determine synergistic effects of acidification, warming and nutrients on key pelagic organisms.
– Identify and quantify responses of fundamental Mediterranean biogeochemical processes to acidification and warming.